Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Friend Jack



Friday was a poopy day for me.  It was cold and cloudy and all I really wanted to do was close the blinds and curl up in bed.  It was just one of those days where things weren't quite working in any way, shape, or form.  I had class in the morning and by the time I got home, I decided that baking a pie was really the only way to go.

There is something about a pie that is warm, cozy, nostalgic, comforting - like dropping by your grandmother's house for a hug and a kind word.  Since I don't have a grandmother here I had to settle for my own slice of pie. 

I flipped through my beloved pie recipe book and found one that I knew instantly was perfect for the day:  Jack Daniel's Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie. Not only was it appropriate for the colder days and coming holidays, but a little whiskey never hurt anybody!

Here is the recipe I used:


1 single pie crust (you can use any recipe that works for you or a pre-made pie crust)


Filling:

4 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark corn syrup (this gives it a delightful maple-ish, caramel-y flavor)
2 tbs Jack Daniel's whiskey
2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips


1.  Prepare the pie crust (if necessary) and refrigerate until firm enough to roll. I usually do 1 hour.

2.  Roll your pie crust and place in 9 1/2 inch deep pie pan.  Place in freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3.  Place pie weights or dried beans on pie shell and pre-bake for 15 minutes.  Reduce oven to 375 degrees, take out pie weights, and continue to bake for 10-12 minutes.

4.  Allow pie shell to completely cool.

5.  Combine eggs, sugar, and corn syrup in a large bowl.  Whisk to combine.  Add whiskey, butter, and vanilla.  Whisk again until combined.  Scatter pecans and chocolate chips over bottom of pie shell.  Pour filling over the pecans and chips.  

6.  Place pie on center rack and back about 45 minutes or until pie is set.  I rotate the pie halfway through the process so it cooks evenly.  When it is done, the top of the filling will be toasted brown and slightly puffed around the edges.  

7.  Allow pie to cool on a rack.  You can serve at room temperature or serve chilled.  I prefer room temperature. 


This pie ended up being perfect and just what I needed.  Baking has a way of calming my nerves and centering me.  My mind is free to wander but not too much.

And of course I always have to have music while I bake.  Jill Scott was my artist of choice yesterday.  Specifically I was listening to her album Beautifully Human - Words and Sounds Vol. 2.  If you have never listened to Jill Scott and enjoy soul or jazzy music, she is absolutely phenomenal.

If you're having a crappy day like I was, consider a little pie in your life.  It always helps me out.

-- Eagle

P.S. I had every intention of posting a picture of my finished pie, but there seems to be technical difficulties.  I will add a picture as soon as it will let me!








1 comment:

  1. This makes me VERY happy. I will be making this. Thank you for sharing the recipe and your day. It sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete