Saturday, July 30, 2011

Weekend DIY!

Earlier this month, I moved into a lovely little house which I share with my sister. I am definitely a homebody and I love to nest and make my living space comfy and cozy, and I aim to make it as much a representation of myself (and now with a touch of my sister) as I possibly can. The first thing I did was so pop some cookies in the oven, which was partly because I was craving baked goods, but also to give the house a deliciously homey smell. One of the next things we decided to do was paint our guest bathroom.


I found a link on Design*Sponge to a woman's entryway that she painted with a herringbone pattern and the sister and I decided to be brave and give it a try.

The first thing I did was to measure of vertical sections. I chose to do 8 inches across and taped it off floor to ceiling.


 Then I marked every 3 inches going down the tape. 

Next, we taped on an angle from one mark to the one below or above it on the next section.

Finally we painted! We love bright colors, so we went with a salmon (or Pepto Bismol, as my mother calls it) pink. When we took the tape down, we realized we'd had a little trouble with the paint bleeding under the tape, but it was nothing major and certainly nothing that couldn't be touched up.


Being the older sister that I am, I chose not to tell my little sister that we had a large paint roller until she was about 3/4 of the way through with job with her small paintbrush. The weekend before, I spent 5ish hours with 2 dear friends painting our living room and thought she could stand a few hours of painting herself. I'm sure this snide act of sisterly vengeance will come back around to bite me in the butt sometime soon.





Over all, we are extremely pleased! It was kind of labor intensive (the taping alone took 6-7 hours) but the end result is really neat and totally unique to our space!



Hope you feel inspired now!
Love, Magpie

PS I apologize for the poor lighting and quality of my pictures. However, I shall offer no explanation, nor do I promise that pictures quality or lighting will improve. That's just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment