Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mad Men Monday



Lately, I've been channeling Joan Holloway Harris, and by lately I mean since the show Mad Men first debuted. She is fabulous- witty, smart, voluptuous, and gorgeous, and though our tastes in men differ, I still aspire to be like her when I grow up.
This weekend, I decided to scope out the territory near my new house and found myself in Old Town Spring, TX. This is a cutesy little community of antique shops, art galleries, coffee and sweet shops, and of course- vintage clothing shops tucked back from the highway. I am such a sucker for any and all things kitschy and cute, so naturally I loved Old Town Spring. And I had some success on the dress-like-Betty-and-Joan front too! I found two fabulous late 50's dresses- the first of which I wore to work on Monday-declaring the theme for the day 'Mad Men Monday.'

Once I had the dress on, I realized that my hair needed to match the decade of the rest of my outfit! I pulled out the back-comb and got to work. I wish I had a better picture, but my trusty photo assistant was out of the house. I ratted and fluffed, and ratted and fluffed, and finally wrangled it all into a very high, very poufy bun on the top of my head. I was quite pleased my faux beehive (though the cashier at Home Depot on my way home from work didn't quite know what to make of me). With some sweeping black eyeliner and bright red matte lips, I think I did quite well.

Now that I've been building up my vintage wardrobe, I think it's time to start on the underpinnings. I need a crinoline to give my circle skirts the right shape. And while I realize that feminism undid the necessity for wearing those other highly restrictive undergarments, it's my opinion that there's something ultra feminine and sensual about the figure and curves they helped you accentuate. I'm for it- for now, at least. Ask me again after I've been wearing stays and panty hose for 8 hours!

Au Revior!
MagPie

No comments:

Post a Comment