Thursday, July 21, 2011

Inside a Lady's Purse

Ah, the purse. I love my purse. Apart from being the finishing accessory to most of my outfits, it's the most useful article of clothing (or accessory) I possess. While many women collect purses and change them out to match their mood or the season, I find one purse- a perfect purse that matches everything- and wear it till it fall apart and I am forced to find another. It's a very serious relationship-me and my purse.



My purse is one of the few things parts of my life that I am usually reluctant to allow people to rifle through. Generally, I'm an open book- I'll tell you whatever you ask, you can dig through my closet or medicine cabinet, no big deal. But my purse is a different story. I think it's because of all things, my purse is my lifeline. It's the key to girl scout style-preparredness and must be stocked in the most efficient way- with the things you must have with you at all times and a few other things that you know would be handy should any assortment of events take place. It's also possibly the most brutally honest representation of yourself. Your closet can be stocked full of clothes representing a style or image you are hoping to portray. A kitchen cabinet can be stocked full of foods that represent the way you would really like to be eating. A bathroom counter might be covered in make-up and beauty products that you aspire to using regularly. But a purse is you through and through-no fronts

The purse size a woman chooses, what she carries around, how it's organized- all glimpses of her personality. Today, for some reason, I feel compelled to share the contents of my purse with you. Make of me what you will!

First off- I carry a very large purse. I recently tried to downsize because my bag was so heavy that it was hurting my shoulder and back. I bought an adorable little cross body, 70's style brown leather bag with fringe. I worked with it for a week or two before I determined that rather than cutting back what I was toting around, I was really just cramming everything from my big bag into my now bulging little bag which makes it next to impossible to find what I'm looking for in a reasonable amount of time. In the last few weeks, I have given up and am now carrying my small purse in a larger tote bag that carries everything that wouldn't fit into my small purse. It's now a glorified and extra large wallet of sorts. Ridiculous.

Just call me Mary Poppins, but I have a lot of very useful stuff with me at all times. I always have my pocket knife, cell phone, and credit cards. Should you have hair fiasco, I have bobby pins, hair ties, and a comb. Wardrobe malfunction? I have safety pins and fashion tape. Beauty emergency? I have chapstick, handcream, neosporin, lipstick in two shades, mascara, nail polish, tweezers, and a compact. Not feeling well? I have a handkerchief (it's clean, don't worry) and Ibuprofen.

Less problem specific, but equally as useful, I almost always have these items with me:
- stamps (both foreign and domestic) and postcards for notes on a whim
- a small note book for writing thoughts and recipes
- a head scarf to protect the hair from drives with the windows down
- a paper fan because this is Houston and I try to keep my sweating to a minimum
- my kindle (you never know when you might have time to kill) AND a paperback book (you never know when the kindle battery might die!)
- a spare pair of earrings

I also have a list of items that are not always in my purse, but I happen to be carrying today (I admit that I'm not sure how some of these ended up in there):
-a hot glue gun and extra glue
- a packet of instant grits
- a bright yellow bandana
- my computer with it's charger
- a large wad of straw wrappers and reciepts from Cracker Barrel, Panda Express, Kroger, Smoothie King, and Sprinkle's Cupcakes
- paint swatches
- my cat's toenail clippers
- a boot shaped cookie cutter

Anyone of my friends will tell you that I've always carried a much-to-large purse full of things I didn't need and junk. And it's true. I always have and try as I might, I'm sure I always will. But someday if you find yourself out with me and in need of a sewing kit or an allen wrench, it's very likely that I'll swoop in and save the day! Keep that in mind. But perhaps, now having admitted to the ridiculousness that I've been carrying around with me, I should clean things out....  we'll see how long that lasts....

Love ya more than my luggage,
Magpie

1 comment:

  1. Oh Maggie, you and your oversized purses. I'm sad the little brown fringe one didn't work out by itself. But sounds like you are still putting it to use :) It's funny, right as I was reading your post I was looking at this clutch - http://www.katespade.com/designer-handbags/fabric-purses/book-of-the-month-club-emanuelle/PXRU2420,default,pd.html?dwvar_PXRU2420_color=972&start=1&cgid=handbags-clutches - ridiculously expensive and not at all practical, but very cute idea! I heart you.

    ReplyDelete