Thursday, July 28, 2011

Doing That Thing You Do..


One of my all-time favorite movies is That Thing You Do.  When I was little, my brother and I would watch that movie all the time.  And of course it was always the chosen one for road trips up to Grandma's house.  I used to love each of the band members for different reasons and spend equal amounts of time envisioning how my future husband would resemble or act like one of the characters.



I recently watched the movie for the first time in a long time with a friend of mine who is equally and substantially obsessed with it.  In fact, he happened to have the extended version of the DVD, which I've never watched and it changed my life.  So now I am into it all over again.  There is just something about that time period that makes me feel right inside.  The early 1960s are my hands-down favorite time period.  I am not a hippie child and I don't necessarily enjoy that end of the 60s, but the early part of the decade when the elegance and nostalgia still existed from the 50s and the mod, individualistic element of the later half of the decade is starting to creep in is simply perfect to me.  That Thing You Do takes place in 1964, so naturally I love the costumes, the music, the jokes, the attitudes, the decor -- everything.  I mean, seriously, who doesn't love a man in a slim-cut trouser, skinny tie, and blazer?




So, with That Thing You Do fresh in my mind, I'm feeling super inspired by the early 1960s and I have been actively working to include them in my everyday life.  I'm talking cat-eye sunglasses, cigarette pants, and officially transferring my cosmetics into a vintage train case.









Enjoy the finer things of the 1960s everyone! It's a glorious thing. 

-- Eagle






No comments:

Post a Comment