Tuesday, September 6, 2011

You Can Never Have Too Much Soul.



One thing that most people don't know about me is my deep and unbridled love for soul, funk, and hip-hop.  I would say the usual reaction I get to that little ol' fact is a mix of shock and intrigue.

I would also venture to say that these music genres course through my veins and I would be a half-person if they failed to exist.  That's how much I love them.

I recently watched a documentary on Bill Withers and it threw me into a spurt of all things Bill.  Of course I knew of his hit singles (Ain't No Sunshine, Lean on Me, etc.), but I had never really put time into listening to his catalog.  With that said, I'm definitely way more appreciative of his music.  The documentary was a very humbled look into Withers' way of life and his opinion on what and who he used to be.  It was heartfelt and beautiful in the most simple of ways.  I highly recommend it to anyone who:
a).  loves Bill Withers
b).  loves old school soul
c).  loves knowing the history of music in the last century (I myself am a music junkie when it comes to this)


Speaking of music documentaries, another one I saw recently (that for sure goes onto my list of favorites) is Beats Ryhmes & Life:  The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest.  A Tribe Called Quest, for those of you who don't know, is one of the founding hip-hop groups.  They literally changed the game.  If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have much of the music that we have today.  A Tribe Called Quest, even though they had a massive impact on modern-day music, were plagued by internal conflict for the duration of their existence as a group, which eventually led to their falling-out and on-again-off-again split.  

This documentary was amazing, seriously.  Again, if you enjoy music documentaries you definitely need to see this.  I believe it comes out on DVD soon. 


Enjoy a soulful musical journey, everyone! It will do you right. I promise.

 -- Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment