Thursday, September 22, 2011

I can't go out tonight- I have to wash my hair!

Degas is my favorite Impressionist Artist. Degas has nothing at all to do with this post.

I have a confession. I hate washing my hair. I hate it. It takes sooooo much time to get it brushed out, shampooed, conditioned, and combed again- not to mention that it clogs my tub drain. Then it takes 30 years to dry and tame it, and wrangle it into some semblance of a style. In addition to that- my hair always looks the worst the day after a wash so in addition to dreading the washing/drying I also get to look forward to crappy day 1 hair. Hair washing is an all-evening affair. Half of the evening spent motivating myself, and the other half trying to tame my mop.

Lucky for me- I have very thick, course, and dry hair. Much like a horses. My scalp doesn't get oily and my hair holds style pretty dang well. This means that I don't have to wash it very often. In fact, I only wash my hair once a week. A few people have asked me what I can recommend for them to help put off washing another day, so here is my general weekly run through of hair styles:

Day 1 (Freshly washed)- I almost always wear it down and fluffy. On day one I can usually guarantee that its going spaz out half way through the day so I always have pony holders and bobb ypins to wrangle it back midday.

Day 2- still wearing it down- maybe with a head band or a fancy bobby pin on one side.

Day 3- It goes half-up with some back combing at the roots for volume

Day 4- A nice braid or 'plait' as my cosmetologist sister would say.

Day 5, 6, & 7- now I switch to a bun- either messy at the nape of my neck or very high and pouffy care of 1963. Before I had short swoopy bangs, I was rather fond of braiding my long 'bangs' all the way back and gathering it all in a bun. Sometimes I add a thick headband to cover the bangs, or a silk scarf in a semi-turban. Thick headbands and scarves are especially useful if your hair does get oily and you need to cover your roots.

Now that I've put that out there- you will all be able to tell where I am on my hair washing cycle! Shoot!

Another confession- almost all of my hairstyles involve back combing. It's terrible, I know, but I'm a Texan at heart and cannot bear flat hair.

All that to say- if you're looking for a way to put off washing, you can easily adjust my schedule to fit your hair, whether you go 2 days between washes or 2 weeks. The trick is wear it down right away and progressively start pulling it back day by day. Buns and braids are your friends :)

In addition- here are some sweet links for alternative hair styles- Get out of your boxes!!

Awesome Big Hair 

The Twisted Sister

A Retro Take on the Bun

A Messy, Modern Bun

How to Tie a Head Scarf

Enjoy,
Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment