Saturday, November 19, 2011

Time for Tea (And a Recipe)!

Hello Little Birds!
This weekend, I had the pleasure of attending my church's Ladies Winter Tea. It was such a lovely time for fellowship with my sisters in Christ, but even more importantly, proceeds from the tea went to Redeemed Ministries which rescues women trapped in the sex trafficking industry here in Houston. For those of you who don't know- Houston is the largest human trafficking port in the United States which is an absolute atrocity. I am so grateful for groups like Redeemed Ministries.

Anywho- the tea. I am a very old soul. A classy event like an afternoon tea is right up my ally. What's more, is that for this tea, women in the church were allowed to 'adopt' one of the tables to set however they liked, so that other ladies might have a unique and beautifully set place to eat. I have lots of memories of my mom and grandmothers pulling out their beautiful china for various teas and I was so excited to adopt a table of my own. Here's what I did with my table:




I got to use my great-grandmother's china (which is my favorite of all the china patterns floating around my mom's house) AND my Mason jars, which made it perfectly eclectic. My sister helped me to pick out fresh flowers this morning and we were both beyond excited to incorporate some fabulous purple thistles into the mix. I wish the pictures did them justice! I even worked in some of my jadeite collection and some favorite vintage etiquette books to prop up flower arrangements. Over all, I was extremely pleased and proud to sit at my adorable table.

I also did a little baking for the tea. I made a bunch of really tasty apple-pear hand pies, but I also decided that since I was channeling my grandmother and great-grandmother with the china, that I should also make some of grandma's bourbon balls- one of her holiday favorites. They are so tasty and so so easy so I wanted to share the recipe with you all! Here we go:


Here's the cast of characters.
-A box of Nilla wafers (about 3 cups crushed) 
-1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 tablespoons of lite corn syrup
- 1/2 cup of bourbon

Crush your nilla wafers in a food processor or in a plastic bag using a rolling pin- old school style. That's how I do it. Then combine all of your ingredients. 

Don't judge my use of a cake pan as a mixing bowl. My bowls were in the dishwasher and I just didn't have time to wait for them! After everything is all mixed, roll small spoon-fulls into balls and then roll in powdered sugar.  If your mix is too dry when you try to roll it, add a little more corn syrup. It should pull everything right together. 
Needless to say, they were delicious. They are a perfect throwback treat. For all of you little retro birds who are planning mod Christmas cocktail parties- Bourbon Balls are a must. 




Happy Season's Baking to you all!
Love, Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment