Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pillow Talk

This weekend was filled with lots of homework and projects.  In my Textiles class we had an assignment to create a garment or accessory using a finishing method (i.e. printing, embroidery, pleating, dyeing, etc.). I chose to create throw pillows because I have been wanting to try out an idea that I've had for a while.

I had some extra wool leftover from a jacket I had made in my Clothing Construction class earlier this semester and decided this was a perfect opportunity to use it up.  I hate wasting materials and get some sort of sick OCD rush when I use up extra stuff lying around.

I bought a linoleum block at my local craft store and quickly drew on my design and then carved it out with a gouge.  I don't spend a lot of time contemplating and measuring designs - I kind of just go with the flow.  The more random the end product is, the better I like it.


Next, I laid out my wool and started printing with my textile ink (also found at a local craft store).  I use one of those cheap sponge brushes found in the kids section of the store because A).  sometimes I'm just not in the mood for clean-up.  Yes I know that's not very green of me.  B).  I like the texture that using a cheap, stiff sponge gives my print.  


Again, I didn't really focus on printing super-straight or getting an even coat of ink.  I personally love the way imperfection looks.  I even put different papers and bags underneath my fabric to give it some extra texture and oomph.  


After my print had dried (it didn't take long with the wool - maybe half an hour), I cured it with an iron on the wrong side of the print and took to adding some top stitching.  I have a pretty consistent love affair with primary colors and decided to add primary-themed top stitching.  


After I was satisfied with the top stitching, I sewed up the sides, leaving a few inches to stuff it, flipped it right side out, and stuffed it with our good ol' friend Poly-Fil.  I finished by slip stitching the opening shut and this baby was ready to meet the world!


I ended up making a second pillow the exact same way, except I used pink top stitching and made the pillow shape a square.  

There is nothing else I love more than creating something with my own two hands that is cuddly AND pretty.  So satisfying.  

Go forth and create, little birds!

-- Eagle

P.S. If you are interested in this pillow, check out our newly-created Etsy shop! We are working on getting items up and making our new little nest look pretty. 

For Eagle & Magpie goodness fly on over HERE .



No comments:

Post a Comment