Friday, August 5, 2011

A Very Spongey Experiment

Hello all - So I have been quite busy the last week or so with some great baking.  I am to make a few different items for a wedding shower coming up and have been experimenting with some recipes.



The first thing I made was a batch of Madeleines.  I have never made Madeleines before (and actually had never even tasted one) but considering the fact that they are a French stand-by, I simply had to learn.  I researched several different recipes and finally settled on trying one for a honey variation.

I always get super nervous when I first try a new recipe because I put everything I have into them (I'm an emotional baker) and if they come out wrong, I take it personally.  I'm not saying this is a great attitude with baking, but at least I'm honest with myself, right?

Right.

So anyways, I was quite pleased with the batter as it smelled absolutely delicious.  The first batch that I took out of the oven, looked great.  They were golden and beautiful and had the signature hump.  The flavor was great, but I was a bit unsure of the texture.  Was it too dense? Too dry? This is where the fact that I had never eaten one really became a disadvantage.  I tried cooking my next round a little less, and then the third round I cooked even less than the second batch.  I was most pleased with the texture of the final batch, but once they rested for about 24 hours, the texture of the batches that were cooked longer may have been a bit better.  (I finally ended up buying a package of madeleines at Starbucks so that I at least had something to compare them to).

All in all, I feel like they need a bit more work, but my first try was not a failed one.  The honey flavor was a perfect compliment to a hot cup of french press or a steaming cup of black tea.  Next time I try them, I am going to work on the bake-time again.  I also might try a lemon-almond variation.  I will be sure to update my progress!

Happy Friday!

- Eagle

1 comment:

  1. I love Madeleines! I just made a batch myself :) There's a great recipe by Dorie Greenspan that has honey and spices.

    Oh, btw, I love this blog :)

    ReplyDelete