Thursday, August 25, 2011

Confessions of a Fashion Student

Okay, so I promise I haven't flown away.  Magpie is so much better than me at keeping up with life and posting about it.  I'm a fickle bird with flighty thoughts and this sometimes translates into not-so-many Eagle-posts.  But here I am!

I had originally written a post three different times to entail what exactly has gone on in my life in the last month, but I kept getting distracted and then whatever I had written was no longer relevant.  I've decided to talk about the very thing that is exactly relevant to me this week:  SCHOOL!

I am in my sophomore year at a design school in Nashville.  I'm studying fashion design and literally could not be happier.  For someone such as myself who had ZERO plans of every getting a degree, I am so completely satisfied and fulfilled with my education.  It feels good to go to school everyday and love what I am studying.  I genuinely look forward to my homework.  Yes, I'm a nerd.  But at least I'm a well-dressed nerd.

School started two weeks ago and has been going non-stop ever since.  I am taking six classes this semester, which adds up to 17 hours.  It's a lot.  Especially since four of the classes are studio classes.  And not to mention the hours of sewing that go along with everything.  And let's just go ahead and throw a cherry on top and say that I'm a total perfectionist.  SO I never make anything easy on myself.  It's a character flaw ; )

Anyways, school is one of those crazy things for me that forces me to be highly productive, but also turns my bitter sarcasm on high.  My sensitivity to annoying people, places, and things is especially heightened.  I'm sure it's the fact that I'm placing extra stress on myself and it has to come out in some aspect of my personality. But sometimes I feel like I've been plopped in the middle of one of those reality shows where people are trying to test my boiling point.  The kind of cliche, crazy things that happen on a regular basis is so comical and so exhausting that all I can do sometimes is stare at a blank wall and shake my head.  Then I laugh about it.  And then I remember the bigger picture:  I'm doing what I love.

Fashion design is one of my many dreams that always felt unreachable.  But for the first time in my life, it feels within reach. It's a LOOONG ways away, but still within reach.  This realization of hope is a great addition in my life.

So.  I'm sure I'll have many sarcastically-inspired posts about my school experiences for the next few months, but bear with me.  I promise I'm a happy camper :)

I will also be sure to post pictures of my garments through out the semester.  I get to learn, among other things, how to make pants, jeans, skirts, and dresses this semester.  I'm very excited.

Until next time! (hopefully sooner than later) -

Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment